In the spotlight

In the spotlight
Consciousness expresses itself through creation

Sunday 25 October 2015

Celebrate Difference

image source:http://www.handpaintedrocks.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Day210_July29th2011_CelebrateDifference.jpg


Following the theme of my last SIG discussion I found the article below in the guardian about people's perception of autism as a disability:

http://www.theguardian.com/science/blog/2015/jul/16/autism-doesnt-have-to-be-viewed-as-a-disability-or-disorder

As I read the article I felt like I was reading a précis of my research findings to date. So far my inquiry has taken me on an incredible journey. I began with a rather timid tiptoe into the autism pool of information with a smattering of knowledge based upon my own previous teaching of people on the spectrum. At this point I suppose the closest way I can describe how I felt about autism would be to liken it to catching a glimpse of something sparkling in a muddy puddle - wanting to explore to see what it is but afraid of delving in and discovering something unpleasant. The more I read and talked to others with experience of teaching people with autism the more I became aware of different attitudes towards it. I found that, in general, those with the most experience of it tended to view autism as a different way of looking at and understanding the world as opposed to being a disability and deviance of the "norm". My view? Look below:

image source: http://www.simplyspiritualliving.org/simply/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/When-you-judge-another-you-do-not-define-them.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment